Monday, January 21, 2013

Sewing in 2012


Yeah I know, 2012 is already in the distant past, but what can I say except I'm always running a little behind schedule. At least when it comes to things I know I can procrastinate without any major repercussions. My 2012 sewing goal: make a button-up shirt that fits my freakishly broad shoulders so I can wear something besides t-shirts. I actually worked on it but never got around to finishing that project. Let's just move that goal to 2013, ok?


Now for what I actually did accomplish in 2012:


Project #1: Pink skirt.  I was trying to go out on a limb here and make something kind of trendy with the bright color and high waist.  I ordered the fabric from an online fabric store.  The color description said "coral". It's actually closer to the color of chewed bubble gum.  The sad part is that I saw a swatch before I ordered.  That chewed bubble gum color looked much better in a 1" swatch.  It actually looks better in the picture than in real life.  Maybe I'll try wearing it again in the spring.



Project #2: Another skirt.  Think I have enough skirts in my closet yet?  TOO BAD I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO MATCH ANY OF THEM!!!  Yep, I'm a little frustrated with myself.  This one is really cute (see the fabric and seam detail below) but I only have one shirt that comes close to matching it and I don't really love the shirt.



Project #3: Not a skirt!  The t-shirt is made from some knit I bought at a little hole-in-the-wall place in New York.  Too bad it doesn't match any of my skirts.  I wanted to make a few t-shirts and get the pattern perfect.  This was my only attempt this year but I'm pretty happy with it. It would have been even better if both armholes were the same shape.  I had a little patternmaking mishap and didn't even realize it until I pulled the pattern out to use it again. Oh well, you can't really tell when I'm wearing the shirt. I actually bought the pants a few years ago (yeah, those are navy linen pants in the picture) but they never fit very well so I had never worn them.  I took off the waistband, remodeled them a little, and put everything back together.  Now they're totally wearable, and miracle of miracles I have a top to match! I guess I should call the pants Project #3 1/2.




Project #4: Mondo skirt for Ashley.  Yes it's another skirt, but no it's not for me so it's ok!  Ashley negotiated a killer deal on these silk prints while we were in New York.  She already has several versions of this skirt pattern but it's so cute on her that we both just keep making them.  I volunteered to make this one because I thought the slippery silk might be a little challenging for Ashley.  I was probably right.  I think it hated me and I'm so glad it's hanging in someone else's closet because I really don't want to see it again!  Oh, and Mondo is our favorite Project Runway designer who always used a lot of black and white and mixed prints.  These fabrics reminded us of him as soon as we saw it so that's why the skirt is named after him.


Project #5:  Kilt? No, I guess I'm going to have to call it a skirt.  At least I went out and bought a black turtleneck to go with it so I actually wear it.  The fabric was labeled as a sweater knit.  I looked at it then walked away, but I kept going back and touching it.  It was calling my name and I answered.  It's a mock-wrap skirt (thus not going to fall open) and it's super comfy.  The whole time I was making it I felt like there was something sort of familiar about the fabric.  I finally figured it out.  It's terrycloth, like the really soft infant washcloths.  It's mostly polyester and lycra so it wouldn't really make a good washcloth, but yeah, I made a wrap skirt out of terrycloth.  I'm wearing a towel.  I don't care - I like it anyway.  But I have given up on the matching jacket I was going to make: a soft blazer-type jacket with a tie belt.  I'm not going to wear a towel AND a robe in public!



Project #6 (Hey, that's one every other month!): Super Cute Dress for Ashley!  Sorry about the wonky pictures.  They're from my phone and I guess they didn't quite upload all the way.  Just ignore those funny lines on the bottom.  This was inspired by a dress that Ashley tried on and loved, but it just didn't fit right.  This was so fun to sew!  The cotton/poly/lycra ponte knit from  Mood was really easy to sew, the pattern went together well, there were no major problems during the project, and I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that exposed zipper.  

Well, that's it for 2012.  Better late than never.  I'll try to do a better job in 2013.  I already have one project well underway: the What Was I Thinking dress.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Puzzle-Piece Pattern

“It’s not the writing part that’s hard. What’s hard is sitting down to write.” -Steven Pressfield, The War of Art I’m c...