Friday, May 6, 2011

Mom + More

This blog has been sort of challenging for me because the whole point is to write about myself and not my children.  Not that I don't completely adore my children, but I'm trying to figure out who I am besides Mom now that they're growing up and going off on their own.  I'm finding that I don't have a lot of interests or goals that aren't related to taking care of my family.  My personal skirt-a-month challenge has been great because I've had to actually learn things, practice, implement, and do something just for myself.  Actually just finding time for myself has been good (and difficult).  I tend to think that I don't deserve to enjoy myself unless the house is spotless, the laundry is done, the meals are planned, the checkbook is balanced, etc.

I need to find some more things to learn and enjoy, to fill my imaginary free time.  I guess there is really no such thing as free time, but I can make time for things that will make me a better and happier person.  Here are some of the things I've considered learning more about:  sewing, photography, economics, nutrition, astronomy, photoshop, interior design, landscape design, gardening...  hmm, in my mind that list was longer.  Some of those are more necessity than interest (like interior & landscape design - have you seen my house and yard?), and one I've already tried (photography) and failed to stir up any passion for it.  I've worked through so many photoshop elements tutorials that I'm getting bored of it, but there's still a little potential there since I should be making some photo books for some of my family's big events.  Nutrition is also something I'd like to learn out of necessity since I realize as I get older that I have to work harder to keep myself healthy, but I'm not really excited about it.  When I read articles on economics or astronomy, my eyes pretty much glaze over but occasionally there are math references that make me feel like I'm reading a language that I once knew but forgot and I get a little excited.

Overall, my list of new things to learn isn't all that promising.  If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Puzzle-Piece Pattern

“It’s not the writing part that’s hard. What’s hard is sitting down to write.” -Steven Pressfield, The War of Art I’m c...